Wednesday, 18 July 2012

The past, the present and the future..



Over the last 3 years I have had a mentor. He has diligently and admirably walked with me through thick and thin. He would stick up for me, fight my corner, and take me aside for a serious word or even a hug when he sensed I needed it most. He has been a father figure to me in Worcester, he has looked after my best interests with extreme care. He has helped to nurture, sharpen and stretch me to become a man. We have laughed, and cried together.
Looking back to growing up, I had the biggest privilege of having a loving, caring, genuine Father who would put my interests before anything else even if that meant I had to be taught a lesson. It’s been the best foundation and springboard for me, I have always looked to my dad for advice, love, wisdom, honesty and a chat about LFC. He is the only person in the world I find hard to tell that I love him, simply because I love him so much.
Playing Basketball for England in the European Champs, my family had come to watch. We were playing Hungary. At the start of the game I ran out onto the court for tip off. The crowd were making so much noise but I heard the whistle I knew so well from my dad. I turned to him and looked him in the eye, he beat his chest with his fist and then pointed at me. I had to look away really quickly because I almost cried, the tears were literally ready to go! It still makes me feel emotional now! We did it together. I gave 100% for my Father, as well as my team mates and coaches.
I’m so aware that so many have not had what I have had, and I see that daily. We all know it, we can all see it, we can all feel it. Even if you support Man Utd or Chelsea.
I have just started reading a book called ‘Passing the Baton’ by Angus Buchan. The opening chapter is called ‘The Fatherless generation.’ Reading the title takes me back to around 4 months ago, just before Hannah and I set out to LIV Village for the first time.
An evening to send us off, full of food, laughter and prayer. Our small group had gathered to celebrate and look forward to the exciting time ahead. Towards the end of the evening Rich Nicol (it’s all his fault) asked..
“Jonathan, how old are you?”
I answered “23.”
“That’s good” he replied as he smiled and nodded. I gave him a confused look, he continued..
“There are no young men around those kids in South Africa. No role models your age, no one to look to, NO FATHERS for them. They will love you.”
I was speechless, the most I could respond was a nod. I’m not sure why I nodded to be honest. How desperate?
Since coming back from Durban, the biggest reason I want to go back is to pass on just what I have received from my dad and Paul (my mentor.)
I’m not going to be confound to being a part of something, where safeguarding is such a big issue that no one is trusted. I’ll have the oppurtunity to really show these kids how special they are. I will be able to give them a hug to encourage them when they do something great, and after they have to be disciplined for something to let them know that they are still loved even when they do something wrong. I will be able to pray with them daily and talk to them about Jesus. I will be able to see them out of school and spend time with them. These are all things I would have loved to do with the kids in school these last 2 years. I will be free to Father and mentor these children. This is what scares me the most, but also exhilarates me the most. Whether it is through sport or not, it’s what I am hungry for. It’s what I have to pass on. I want to be for the children of LIV all that my Father and Paul have been to me. I dont see myself as the solution for the children of LIV Village, only God can really be the sustainable Father they need. But I do see a Jonathan shaped hole there, to play a part. 
As one of my friends Nathan said to me "God has thought about who he wanted to be at LIV, and he thought of you, he wants Jonathan there."
Y.N.W.A

No comments:

Post a Comment